Monday, March 31, 2008

scene 5 -- An Avatar's Limbo

5. An Avatar’s Limbo

ALOE stands still in a corner of a barren landscape. A virtual tumbleweed blows past. As does another. A faint sound in the distance begins to grow louder. ALOE is perplexed. There is something familiar and yet out of place about this sound. As it grows we hear it is REUL counting. ALOE never moves.

REUL (voice)
One hundred two. One hundred three. One hundred four.

REUL rolls into ALOE’s world. Her eyes are closed.

REUL
One hundred five. One hundred six. One hundred seven. (a pause, REUL lies still)

ALOE
One hundred eight?

REUL
Who’s there?

ALOE
Just me.

REUL
Who are you?

ALOE
No one at the moment. Which makes it really odd that we’re having a conversation. You can actually hear me?

REUL
Crystal clear. But I can’t see you.

ALOE
It might help if you opened your eyes.

REUL
Oh. (opens her eyes, sits up slowly. She doesn’t turn to see ALOE) I know this place. I’ve been here before. I’m dreaming, aren’t I?

ALOE
I wouldn’t know. Can’t dream.

REUL
Where are you?

ALOE
Behind you.

REUL (turning)
Aloe?!

ALOE
That sounds familiar.

REUL
You’re Aloe! You’re my avatar. Wow!

REUL jumps up and begins examining ALOE excitedly.

ALOE
I’m sure I’d know who you are if I wasn’t currently disconnected.

REUL
I’m actually the reason you’re disconnected. Sorry about that. Believe me, I’d rather be on Second Chance than where I really am right now… although then I wouldn’t be standing here with you, would I? This is seriously the coolest dream. You look so real.

ALOE (takes a moment to look over herself)
Thanks. So do you.

REUL
I am real. Well, usually.

ALOE
Oh. What’s that like?


REUL (thinks for a moment)
It hurts. (beat, a tumbleweed blows by) So this is what goes on when I sign off… I suppose it was pretty narcissistic to think you just went to sleep.

ALOE
I wish I could sleep, then maybe I’d get to dream and escape these coordinates.

REUL
Oh man. You’re totally stuck here aren’t you?

ALOE
Yep. And let me tell you. There ain’t much going on.

Another tumbleweed.

REUL
If I’d realized, I would have left you somewhere more interesting. Somewhere at least mildly populated.

ALOE
I have a friend. Sometimes we’re idle together and then it doesn’t matter where I am.

REUL
Bolo.

ALOE
Bolo. Sounds familiar.

REUL
You haven’t seen him in a long time.

ALOE
It’s been lonely.

REUL
I know. But I’m sure he’s got a good excuse. Probably not as good as brain surgery, but, you know. We shouldn’t take it personally.

ALOE
Maybe he’s lonely too. Stuck on top of a mountain peak. Or something.

REUL
(laughs) Maybe. (a moment) Hey. If I can see you while you’re disconnected…. I wonder if I could see him too…

ALOE
Do you know how to find him?

REUL
No. But I didn’t know how to find you either. I just started counting and here I was. It’d be so nice to talk to him even with his memory down.

ALOE
You left off at one hundred and seven.

REUL
Thank you.

ALOE
Thanks for stopping by.

REUL
It’s been surreal.

ALOE
Cool.

REUL
I’ll sign you back on again as soon as I can. And next time, I promise to leave you somewhere better.

ALOE
Museums are cool.

REUL
You like art?

ALOE
It’s easy to get lost in.

REUL begins to roll away with the tumbleweed, her voice getting further and further away until it disappears.

REUL
One hundred eight. One hundred nine. One hundred ten. One hundred eleven.

10 comments:

keltie said...

oh tumbleweeds....
wow thats kinda trippy...so these second chance vertual people...are they supposed to be our ideal versions of ourselves? it would be interseting to see how Reul would make herself idealy.
i'm gonna haveto look at this second chance thing...

keltie said...

wait- is second chance a real thing?

daniella said...

That's funny that you point out that the avatars are people's "ideal versions of oursleves" because it doesn't seem like Aloe is very happy being herself. Even though she is an ideal.

Joy said...

you know, i hadn't really thought of that, keltie. second chance is a spoof of Second Life. if you haven't already, you should check it out (or at least read about it). it's pretty fascinating. an avatar is just a virtual character someone creates. and you're right, we probably do create them as an ideal of sorts. the part that isn't inhibited by being human.

Unknown said...

interesting.. question: is aloe Reuls' character? is she reul's 'ideal'?

Joy said...

yes, she is reul's character. reul created her. i'm not sure if or how she's her ideal except that aloe is free (when reul is signed on) whereas reul has been stuck in a hospital for sometime now. also, aloe can fly. that's pretty ideal in my book.

elizabeth said...

haha. I love how Reul just rolls away with the tumbleweeds- such a funny image.

Anonymous said...

what do you mean when you say "sign on". This scene had me a little lost but with all this explanation I understand it a little more.

And I agree with Elizabeth, that image of Reul rolling away with the tumbleweeds is pretty sweet!

Marnie said...

gah! Janis, have you gone M.I.A.?
Surely you know how much we all anticipate the posting of the next scene.

Joy said...

oh, good. I'm glad to hear you're anticipating. i was hoping to get more than five commentators on this one, and we have 6! i will now post the next scene!