Monday, April 28, 2008

scene 10 -- A place in space

Last scene of the act... finally (and no, I wasn't purposefully trying to torture you).


10. A Place in Space

REUL rolls into space between planets in their orbit. BOLO is there but his back is turned. We never see his face.

REUL
One hundred twelve, one hundred thirteen, one hundred fourteen. (sees BOLO) I knew I’d find you out here somewhere!

She runs over to BOLO and hugs him tightly. He just stands there.

BOLO
Uh, hi?

REUL
It’s okay if you don’t recognize me. I know you’re disconnected and, actually, now that I think about it, you’ve never met me like this before so you wouldn’t recognize me anyway… but wow is it good to see you. (she hugs him again). I was afraid you’d disappeared.

BOLO
I’ve been here for a very long time. (beat) What’s your name?

REUL
Oh, I’m sorry. How rude. (extends her hand) I’m Reul.

BOLO (shakes her hand)
Bolo. Nice to meet you.

REUL looks around.

REUL
Space, huh? You always said you’d find a cool spot out here. It looks so real. Just what I always imagined space would look like.

BOLO
It is real.

REUL
Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to say that it wasn’t. It’s just so… high-resolution. I’m not used to seeing environments like that here. But then again, I’m not used to actually being in these environments myself either, so what do I know. (explores some more) I wonder how you found this…

BOLO
I made it.

REUL
You did?

BOLO
When I was logged on, of course.

REUL
You really made this? It’s incredible.

BOLO
Thanks. I wish I could remember how I did it, but I don’t have much memory right now. That’s okay though. I don’t really need it to enjoy the view.

REUL
Nope. Don’t need a thing.

They enjoy the view together.

BOLO (pointing)
See that planet out there? The smaller one that’s glowing? It’s my favorite.

REUL
You mean Earth?

BOLO
What’s that?

REUL
Ha! Um…. That’s a tough one to explain…

BOLO
Don’t bother. I probably wouldn’t remember anyhow.

REUL
It’s a nice planet. Although it’s kind of having a rough time right now. Hopefully its inhabitants figure out how to help it soon.

Beat.

BOLO
I wish I could go there.

REUL
Really? How come?

BOLO
I’m not sure really… maybe it’s because of the glow. Do you know why it does that?

REUL
I suppose it’s something to do with all of the sunlight it soaks up. It must keep radiating it even in the darkness.

BOLO
What’s sunlight like?

REUL
Mmmm… it’s … delicious. It makes you feel warm and tingly and full of life. I’d have to say, one of the best things about being alive is feeling the sun fill up your body.

BOLO
Does it make you feel real?

REUL
Yeah… it does.

BOLO
I wish I could feel real.

REUL
Why? Don’t you like it here?

BOLO
It’s fine but I can’t help but feel like I’m missing out on something. Something big.

REUL
I think everyone feels like they’re missing out on something. That’s why people make places like this -- other worlds where the things that seem impossible in their ordinary realities can come true.

BOLO
Nothing impossible has happened yet to me.


REUL
I’m standing here with you. And I’m human. That’s pretty impossible if you ask me.

BOLO
No offense, but it doesn’t make me feel any different. I mean, I’m happy for your company, but I’m still here and Earth is still way over there.

A beat.

REUL
You know, I think I’m mad at you.

BOLO
Why?

REUL
You created this amazing place in space and you never once brought me, your best friend in all of virtuality, here.

BOLO
You’re my best friend?

REUL
Aloe is. And we’re pretty much the same person.

BOLO
Aloe… sounds familiar. Maybe she’s the one I made this for.

REUL
You made this for someone?

BOLO
It was going to be a surprise.

REUL
What were you waiting for?

BOLO
I don’t know. Probably to finish it.

REUL
It’s not finished?

BOLO
It’s kind of an infinite project.

REUL
I suppose it would be. But I don’t think you should wait any longer.

BOLO
No?

REUL
No. I’ll bring Aloe here soon. Maybe she could help you finish it.

BOLO
It’d be nice to have some help. It’d be nice to have a best friend too.

REUL
It is nice.

A moment. REUL wanders a bit, poking around.

BOLO
I don’t mean to be impolite, but how did you get here?

REUL
Not sure, exactly. I guess I just willed myself here.

BOLO
What does that mean?

REUL
It means I thought really hard about where I wanted to be and then my will kicked in and made it happen.

BOLO
But you didn’t even know this existed.

REUL
Nope. But I knew you had to be somewhere.

Beat.

BOLO
You think I could get to Earth that way?

REUL
I don’t know. I guess it depends on how much will you have.

BOLO
I’m not sure how much I have. Maybe I don’t have any.
REUL
You won’t know unless you try.

BOLO
Do you want to go with me?

REUL
Well, I have to get back sometime anyhow. Why not?

BOLO
How do I start?

REUL
Close your eyes.

BOLO
Okay.

REUL
Now picture yourself getting closer to Earth.

BOLO
It’s hard.

REUL
I know.

BOLO
I keep forgetting what I’m supposed to be doing.

REUL
Maybe you should try counting. That seemed to help me.

BOLO
Okay. Where do I start from?

REUL
How about 100? That’s always a good place.

BOLO
Okay. Here goes. (he takes a deep breath) One hundred…. one hundred one… one hundred two… one hundred three…

BOLO begins slowly moving towards Earth.


REUL
You’re doing it!

BOLO
I am?

REUL
Keep counting!

BOLO
I think I just got scared.

REUL
Why?

BOLO
It’s going to be totally different than this world, isn’t it?

REUL
Yep. For one thing there’s gravity. No flying on Earth.

BOLO
Seriously?

REUL
Unless you’re a bird. And there’s also this horrible thing called time. And there’s pain, which can be really difficult but then there’s also emotion, which can be wonderful. There’s going to be a lot for you to adjust to. Are you sure you want to go there?

BOLO
No. But I know I don’t want to stay here waiting forever to be logged back on. What if that never happens? What if I’ve been completely forgotten? I think I have to go.

REUL
Then keep counting.

BOLO
You’re coming too, right?

REUL
Yep.

BOLO
Okay. Let’s do it. (a deep breath) From one hundred four?


REUL
Okay.

REUL & BOLO
One hundred four… one hundred five… one hundred six…

They begin moving towards Earth together as they continue counting up to one hundred fourteen.

BOLO
One hundred—

An alarm sounds in the distance.

REUL
-- Wait. Did you hear that?

BOLO
What?

REUL (beginning to panic)
Something’s wrong. I can’t move.

VOICE
She’s not breathing for herself!

The alarm gets more insistent and louder.

REUL
The alarm. It’s getting so loud!

BOLO
I don’t hear anything.

VOICE
Check her blood gases! What’s her Co2? What’s her exchange rate?

REUL
Don’t leave me Bolo, I’m scared.

BOLO (grabbing her hand)
I’ve got you, don’t worry.

The alarm becomes a steady tone as the heart monitor flatlines.


VOICE
Cardiac arrest!

REUL
The stars… they’re getting so close. Can you see them, Bolo? Are you still here?

BOLO
I can see them. I’m right here.

VOICE
Heart rate absent for one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve….

End of Act I

13 comments:

Robert C. said...

ahhhhhhhh I love it! Janis, I don't know whether to hate you or love you at this moment! it's so intense. The voices interrupting was great and it really sped up the pace of the scene and put a little fear in my gut. Right now I can't even express how I feel but all I can comment on is how great of an ending to the first act it is! Is Bolo a virtual version of Elliot or something then? because if so, that is really cool because this scene reminds me a lot of the one in Stars with Reul and Elliot.

Can't wait till the next one!

Joy said...

Hi Robert... yes, Bolo was Elliot's invention. Don't know if you had a chance to read the earlier scenes but that would probably explain a lot. I love your reaction. You can hate me for a minute. I won't take it personally. I felt pretty intense when I was writing it.

keltie said...

Its like a warped flash back....wow.
oh man.
JANIS JUST POST THE BLOODY PLAY ALREADY!

Um, the counting thing is becoming a constant theme, i dont know how i feel about it. i think i like it....i really liked reul's description of earth.

today the sun finally came out and it finnaly warmed things up. we got dumped in snow last week...so it was wonderful. and it made me miss nextfest and stars so much. especially cause i saw casey and sinaed this weekend. oh Janis i cant wait to get working on this project!

Marnie said...

Between reading the play on this blog, scheduling the chicago workshop for this summer, seeing stars this past weekend at LT, AND seeing large portions of the rain cast at theatre on sunday, This play has become a total meta-play...or perhaps our LIVES have become the meta-play...

There's so much of us in this!

Marnie said...

and I guess that wasn't so much a comment about scene 10. But it is just so cool to think about. (Just like scene 10. So there ya go.)

Unknown said...

Fantastic scene. I love the idea of being able to will yourself somewhere.

Joy said...

yay... i'm all about the metaplay. but isn't that always the case? theatre is a reflection of our lives and when we do theatre we reflected back again.

for the record, i'm not trying to torture you by waiting to post the scenes... i just don't have them finished yet. some scenes in the second act are finished but not the first one and since i'm posting sequentially we'll have to wait until i have a chance to write it. sorry! i'm working as fast as i can! how i wish this was my only responsibilty...

keep commenting though. it really does push me to find the time.

xox

Luke said...

I loved it Janis. I think that it was totally and completely awesome!I love this ending to the act. There are some many beautiful lines with beautiful visuals. I didn't want the scene to end. I loved it so much. Great great great great way to end the act.

Danny said...

I just realized what this reminds me of. Remember in the beginning of The Two Towers when they go back to the scene on the Bridge of Khazad-Dum only instead of following the fellowship they follow Gandalf as he falls down the hole and fights the Balrog? That's kind of what it reminds me of... I need a girlfriend.

Marnie said...

No, no, I get it. It's a completely valid insight. I wouldn't have thought of that on my own, but makes a lot of sense....Gus van Sant does that in "elephant" too. He'll play the same scene 3 times but then follow a different character's successive actions every time.

And I really don't a girlfriend could quell your love for Tolkien. You guys go way back.

daniella said...

unless, of course, your girlfriend was tolkien...

ok i don't know what i mean by that.

daniella said...

anyway,

it seems like elliot gets to choose to be wherever he wants (or rather escape from wherever he wants). In the first play Elliot chooses that he doesn't want to exist and now he chooses that he wants to exist because even non-existance is lonely.

Reul, on the other hand, is actually ready to take on the responsibilities of existing (which is more than a lot of people can say judging by the condition of the planet and the way people treat eachother) and yet, by some uncontrollable power, she's dangerously close to not existing.

Joy said...

super insightful, daniella. i love it.