Monday, April 7, 2008

scene 8 -- Spokes on the Wheel

8. Spokes on the Wheel

REUL’s hospital room. REUL is in her bed, BETH is sitting in a chair and KAIYA is standing on her head.

REUL
Whoa.

BETH
You’re totally crazy.

KAIYA (to BETH)
From my point of view, you’re the one who’s upside-down and therefore crazy.

REUL
How long are you supposed to hold it?

KAIYA
Three minutes minimum to flush out the kidneys. Longer if you can.

BETH
Doesn’t it hurt your head?

KAIYA
Nope. (She comes down) It actually makes it feel all light and happy. Mmm… and a little dizzy sometimes.

REUL
That’s pretty much how I’ve felt ever since I woke up.

KAIYA
Yeah?

BETH
It’s probably the anesthesia.

REUL
That wore off a while ago.

BETH
Well there’s probably an after-effect. I mean being put to sleep for so many hours must really impact your system.

REUL
Sure, but it’s more than that.

An awkward beat. BETH does something weird to keep the conversation halted.

REUL (changing the subject)
Kaiya, that’s so cool you’re learned that in college. Can you imagine if everyone had to learn to do a headstand? The world might be an entirely different place.

KAIYA
I know, that was my prof’s point. It really helps put perception in perspective -- it all depends on what angle you’re looking from.

BETH
What type of class was it?

KAIYA
Religion. Monks and Mystics. This week instead of an essay we had to practice being upside-down.

BETH
Do you get graded?

KAIYA
Of course. It’s based on discipline, improvement, and quality of observations. We talk about our experiences in class.

BETH
Weird. And I thought college was supposed to be hard.

REUL
Can you do it?

BETH
You know what I mean. Exams and twenty-page papers and whatnot.

KAIYA
It probably will be for you.

REUL
Are you still thinking about applying to Columbia?

BETH
I don’t know anymore. I’d like to go somewhere with you. Are you still thinking about music school?

REUL
You know, college is probably the furthest thing from my mind right now.

BETH
Right, sorry.

Another awkward silence. KAIYA wants to speak, but bites her tongue. REUL tries to change the subject again when she senses BETH’s discomfort.

REUL (to KAIYA)
So how are things with your roommate? Is she used to New York yet?

KAIYA
Oh yeah. Noelle’s in love with New York. And everyone in it.

REUL
Uh-oh.

BETH
What, did she turn hoochie or something?

KAIYA
No, she’s just always “going out to coffee” with a different dude. I can’t blame her. She dated the same guy all through high school so this is like the first time she’s been single. She was bound to go a little boy-crazy. This week it’s her assistant professor. He’s 30 and French.

BETH
And she’s a freshman?

KAIYA
Yep.

REUL
She’s a French major too, isn’t she?

KAIYA
Oui, oui. She thinks it’s l’amour.

BETH
Please.

An awkward beat. They’ve run out of things to say.

REUL
What’s it like outside?

KAIYA
It’s getting cold finally. And gray. Typical December.

BETH
Oh god. We’re talking about the weather.

REUL
I haven’t been outside in forever.

BETH
I know it’s just… it just seems so fake talking about that right now. And roommates. And school. It’s my fault. I didn’t think talking about what you went through would be the best thing.

REUL
Why?

BETH
I don’t know. I guess I was afraid it might push you over the edge or something.

REUL
I could tell I freaked you out earlier. You practically ran out of the room.

BETH
You just seemed so… out there.

REUL (smiles)
I was ”out there.” I was out of my body the whole time I was in surgery. It was amazing.

KAIYA
Do you remember it?

REUL
I did at first but it’s starting to get foggy. So much happened that just doesn’t make sense in this reality – like I met Aloe in some strange realm of virtual reality. We had a really good conversation. I talked to Bolo too, I think, but that is so blurry right now. I hope I can remember it. And then I left the world all together and became light… see, that doesn’t even make sense in these words but it felt so real. It was real. More real than this right now even. (a moment) It’s hard to explain. I want to but I don’t want to change it by trying to squeeze it into this language when it doesn’t fit.

BETH
What is real anyhow? That has to be one of the most abstract words there are.

KAIYA
We were actually discussing that this morning in my class. We learned about these monks back in Israel or somewhere who went into the desert and deprived themselves of food and water and people because they wanted to discover what it meant to be human – the bare minimum of what it means to be real.

REUL
Did they figure it out?

KAIYA
Yeah. They found that love was the only thing that made them feel real. They were religious, right, and so they came up with this symbol of God as a big wheel. The Earth is the outer circle, God is the hub, and the people are the spokes. They saw that the more you try to get closer to the other people, the closer you get to the hub and the closer you get to hub the closer you get to other people. So basically feeling real is all about connecting with the others around you in your search for the center.

BETH
You know, I think I feel the most real when I’m with you guys. Not we’re talking about stupid stuff, but when we’re laughing or crying or hugging or… dancing. I don’t even know how to make sense of last night, but I felt so connected to both of you (to REUL) and you weren’t even really there.

REUL
I was there.

KAIYA
You remember?

REUL
I remember singing and feeling loved. I think that’s why I came back, actually. I wasn’t ready to give that up yet.

A moment.

BETH
You really think you died?

REUL
The doctors said my heart stopped. They had to resuscitate me. And I’ve never experienced anything close to what I did last night.

A beat and then BETH and KAIYA hug REUL, squeezing into her bed.

KAIYA
We’re so glad you’re here.

REUL
Me too.

BETH (begins signing quietly)
Sur le pont d’Avignon…

KAIYA and REUL join in and sing the song in rounds.

KAIYA
You know, you look pretty dang good for someone who just came back from the dead.

REUL
Thanks.

BETH
It’s true. You’re glowing.

REUL smiles and looks down at her hands. BETH and KAIYA snuggle in closer to her.

11 comments:

keltie said...

i really like it...noo not the song again though...haha oh well. i guess its needed. i like how beth is withdrawn and defencive and then warms up, but i dont think she's quite convinced. if you know what i mean. and the fact that kaiya was standing on her head to drain her kidneys was pretty funny.

Danny said...

Yeah I was actually kind of surprised that Beth gave in so quickly. I thought there was going to be a real conflict between her and Kaiya of Reul. I'm curious to see where it goes from here.

Joy said...

hmm. maybe it is too quick. i don't know yet. this scene doesn't feel finished yet. but the idea is right on. maybe it's just misplaced...

Joy said...

so i slept on it and you're totally right, danny. things do resolve too quickly with beth. now she doesn't have a conflict for the rest of the play.

what needs to happen is that we see the beginning of this scene now and then the resolve of it later in the play when the other conflicts are beginning to be resolved.

thanks for pointing that out! i'll fix that before the workshop, certainly.

Marnie said...

This is just a little eensy thing, but I'm mostly pointing it out because I want the next scene posted ASAP. ha.

When Reul and Beth are discussing college choices and plans, maybe it should sound more like a dialogue they've already had going for a while? As well as Beth's reaction to Kaiya's workload.

daniella said...

oh sorry, Janis, i never posted all that stuff about the Desert Fathers and Mothers. oops. Do you still want me too? anyway, i'm glad you added it in. it does seem to fit. i agree, Danny, this scene does seem a bit rushed. but i think the idea fits well.

can we refresh how old everyone is now? I keep forgetting. I'm guessing Kaiya is a freshman in college and Beth and Reul are seniors in h.s?

Joy said...

marnie -- yes, you're right. this whole scene needs some development.

danie -- don't worry about the post unless you think i left out important details. hopefully i covered most of what you emailed me in the scene. you're right on about the age. i just aged everyone about 7months from the last plays.

one more commentator needed for the next scene...

Unknown said...

I agree with everyone that has posted above. :-D

Danny said...

Well spoken, Vito. I can always rely on you to bring something new and interesting to the table.

Joy said...

Danny are you being cantankerous? Vito, what's your real name? I'm assuming you're from the LT Stars cast? Thanks for your comment. Don't mind Danny. All comments are good because they let me know people are reading. :-)

keltie said...

Danny- reading those last comments now understanding the full picture makes me chuckle to myself...