Monday, October 15, 2007

From Sam with love

Here's a letter from Sam to Noelle:

Hey Noelle,
How’s life treating you? I’m sorry that we didn’t get to see each other over Christmas break. Everything was just kind of hectic at the time and it was hard for me to really see anyone that I wanted to see. From what I heard from other people it sounds like nobody really got out much, which kind of sucks. I was thinking, if you’re going back home for spring break maybe we could go on a road-trip somewhere or something like that. It could be just you and me and Justin, or maybe just you and me if he’s not up for it. There’s this guy I’ve been hanging out with who’s kind of a druggie but he said that I could borrow his car over spring break if I wanted to because he’s taking a train back to Mexico for break. He said it will probably end up being cheaper than driving because of gas prices but I think that just being out on the open road for a week could be fun. Everything else here is pretty ok. Do you ever talk to Justin? I haven’t been keeping up with him as much as I’d like to but I imagine he’s probably having a pretty good time. I can see Justin as being the classy cool college guy. Anyway, let me know what else you’ve been up to. I miss you a lot.
-Sam

I'm feeling some desperation in Sam. I think he's probably in a pretty dark place after everything that has transpired, including having to leave his best friends as well as losing Elliot. It might be interesting if he was pittiable (is that a word? able to be pittied?) for a chunk of the play and then was able to overcome it all somehow. I don't know, just some thoughts.

2 comments:

Joy said...

awesome. love the idea of a road trip. also like that he didn't manage see Noelle over break. i wonder if he saw Justin...

i know what you're saying about the pitiable. i wonder if he starts out the opposite (because we don't know why he's to be pitied) and we just sort of think he's an asshole and then when we peel down his layers we see what's really going on with him...

thanks for the letter. it's good to hear from sam!

does this mean you have internet?! we're chatting wednesday night. hope you can be there.

Unknown said...

Sadly, this does not mean I have internet. It means that there was a wireless network that bled over onto my buddy's dorm for a couple hours last night. Also I have internet at work but still not at home yet. Depending on whether or not the wifi coffee shop near my place is open late on Wednesday I might be able to make it but I'll have to see.

I like that; having everyone think he's an asshole and peeling down the layers. And I think he probably did see Justin, even if only for a brief time. I think that Sam and Justin have a rare kind of relationship where they can be apart for very long periods of time and get back together as if no time had passed at all.