Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Spare Time

Ok so I haven't really gotten the chance to do much blogging but I have been typing away on my laptop like crazy. I kinda just started with an idea and realized that my characters were actually sam and justin and seeing as how Justin is the character that I feel I can relate to best, I just started writing from his perspective. And get this i have the best name for it... "Justin Time" ahahaha...Like Just in Time but better :P ah well I thought it was clever lol. I hope you don't mind. It went a little like this...

He wakes up. The light around him seems blinding. Squinting, he stares out into the audience trying to gain some kind of focus. He opens his mouth to speak. No sound. He stands there for a moment. He smiles. Looking around, he begins to move from point to point on the stage. Dead quiet. He takes a big sigh looks up and instantly stars appear overhead. With outstretched hands he falls backward onto the grass.

Justin
It’s so quiet out here.

Sam
Yeah I know. It’s weird. I can hear my own heart beat.

Justin
I mean, (sitting up) How many places can you go around here and hear silence like this?

Sam
You could always lock yourself in the bathroom. (Chuckles)

Justin
You’re hilarious. Come on give me a break.

Sam
I’m just kidding…but seriously don’t do that again. Or if you do, at least have the decency to let me come in with you. I was stuck hanging out with your brother all day. I was pretty sure that if you didn’t come out soon, I would have no choice to join him in the World of Warcraft.

Justin
Good God! Don’t say things like that. I might have to start handing out applications for a new best friend.

Sam
(Laughing) Awe come on he’s not that bad. I mean sure, a few levels away from not being able to walk in sunlight, but he makes me laugh. He’s a funny kid for his age.

Justin
Yeah if you can decipher all the internet lingo he babbles about. I just wish he would make a friend face to face for once. I mean, he’s 13 years old and I’m pretty sure that there’s no way of telling whether his friends are his age or like 45…. That would be like if we were out here but I was Mr. Samuels. (Does an impression of a typical creepy 40 year old.)

Sam stares at him for a moment. And they burst out laughing. They fall into a heavy silence.


Justin
(Guilty) How’s his wife doing anyways?

Sam
Oh I think she got out of the hospital, but the whole near death experience made her realize she didn’t want to spend the rest of her life as Mrs. Samuels…

Justin
You’ve got to be kidding me. (Sam shrugs) She left him... Oh man, poor guy.

Sam
Yeah my Mom said that she packed all her things and left for somewhere in Europe.

Justin
Huh…Well at least he doesn’t have to see her every day. (Pouting)

Sam
Agh! Why don’t you just get a new job if it really bothers you that much?

Justin
And leave the video store? I’ve been working there since I was thirteen. My life is with that store.

Sam
I thought your life was her.

Justin
Yeah and now I can’t have either…Who does she think she is? (Kicking up some dirt and making Sam cough violently)

Sam
Feel better now?

Justin
I mean I’m the one who got her the job in the first place. Isn’t there some kind of moral dilemma with that?

Sam
No I’m pretty sure there isn’t. She still wants to be friends man. It’s not easy to hear but look at Noelle and I. We’ve grown as friends.

Justin
Yeah grown apart maybe. Miles apart. I see the way you still look at her every once in a while. And every other time you’re completely emotionally detached from her. That’s not what I want.

They both sit up gazing up at the stars and after a few moments, they both take a big sigh at the same time.

Sam
Let’s just face it, when it comes to love, were both a couple of yutz’.

Justin
Did you just call me a Yutz? (Starting to rise from the sitting position) Where I’m from, them there are fightin' words.

Sam
Well then I reckon it must be a fight I’m lookin’ fer

Sam lunges at Justin and Justin sidesteps him and Sam stumbles and ends up off stage. Complete silence again.

3 comments:

Joy said...

hi nathan! great to see you online again and fantastic that you're still thinking about these guys and wrote a scene for them. i love it!

i'm going to think about how to use this... in my thinking thus far (and in the chats) justin is still with gretchen and sam is far away at school, but i think there's still a lot of stuff we can use and either way, i really like it as a scene.

i'm curious about why justin locked himself in the bathroom... there's got to be a good story there.

keep writing! and get on skype!

LastVegas said...

Well I think that in order for Justin to want to lock himself in the bathroom there would have to be a pretty big culmination of frusterating events for him. I think that maybe this girl that he's into (doesn't necessarily have to be Gretchen, but it could be.) but will never be with just keeps showing up in his life. Maybe that morning not only did he see her on the bus on the way to work, but she's also working at the same place. I was thinking that on the way home from work he runs into Sam and they discuss her further and just at the point when he tells Sam that he cannot hear another word about her, he comes home to his Mother who tells him that (girl) has dropped off all of his things that she still had. At that moment I think that he has some sort of breakdown and locks himself in the bathroom. Refusing to come out even for Sam. I hope that maybe gives you a bit more to work with here. The events in the scenes dont even have to be real. Lately I find that I am having dreams that bleed into eachother, almost like a second life. People who are now missing from my life in reality often make frequent appearences in my dreams. Cool concept so I thought I would share it lol.

Joy said...

ah, i was right... there is a good story there! i can tell you have the whole scene in your head. it sounds really interesting. you should write it and submit it to nextfest! i'd love to read it when you do.